View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

LONG MYND BOTTOM LANDING FIELD IGNORED

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

LONG MYND BOTTOM LANDING FIELD IGNORED

Postby Nick Le Gras » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 pm

The Long mynd was flown by many on Sunday15th July ,two pilots were observed, bottom landing in fields other than the designated landing field for which an “out landing fee” is payable to the farmer
The fee remains outstanding .
Please would they contact

chairman@longmynd.org

to arrange payment
many thanks
Nick Le Gras

Re: LONG MYND BOTTOM LANDING FIELD IGNORED

Postby Darren Wood » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:57 pm

I bottom landed once in a designated field PG1 on Saturday just before 8pm, I checked it with Mark Leavesley before take off to be sure. It was the field with the two trees at the western most edge furthest away from take off. I assume this does not warrant a the mentioned fee? If it does I’ll happily pay it. I have the flight on video if further proof is required :D
Darren Wood

Postby David Broughton » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:47 am

Who introduced this stupid rule - was it discussed & voted on in committee :evil:

"NOTE: A £20 pound out landing fee is payable directly to the farmer for landing in any other field other than the designated one."

Which farmer? - am I supposed to know who owns every bit of land below the Mynd or go trolling around trying to find him or her? Has this been agreed with all the land owners?

To my mind it's a silly attempt to discourage people from ROUTINELY out-landing and is practically unenforceable.

Believe me if I get caught out and HAVE to land in another field (better that than trying desperately to make the official field & having an accident) as long as I cause no damage to crops or stock I will not be paying £20 to anyone.
David Broughton

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:17 am

Dave yes this issue has been discussed in great depth by the committee and came about because we had to spend thousands, yes thousands of pounds of club members money placating the bottom landing fields farmer and without this agreement you would no longer have the bottom landing fields available at all. And this is with a farmer who is 100% behind our flying fun, yet other local land owners are not so welcomng. Its a small price to pay for maintaining relationships and will never be anyone elses fault to land in the wrong field other than the person who fails to flight plan correctly and fails to be a competent pilot. Unless you are flying a hang glider the hillside is always available for slope landing.

We used to have a windsock in the HG bottom landing field, one local kept climbing the tree and breaking it. Not everyone likes us.

Question, do you want to have no official bottom landing fields available at one of the most prestigeous sites in the UK, antagonistic locals who in the future may cause trouble. Or do you want the current very harmoneous relationships to carry on?
Dave Thomas

Postby David Broughton » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 am

You don't answer the question about which field(s) & who we are supposed to pay or find out who to pay.

Can I suggest that as the CLUB agreed to this that if it happens AND the farmer asks for the payment that the club pays him from it's sizeable resources instead of pursuing the unfortunate individual who obviously did not want or intend to land where he did?

And on the subject of paying thousands to placate the farmer over damaged stock - well just don't get me started on the price of sheep!!!
David Broughton

Postby Nick Le Gras » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:53 am

Many thanks David Thomas for your response ,
you cover all the bases that I would have done had I got to the forum earlier.

The farm and farm owner are of course very well known to David B, and their remains at the head of the forum posts a comprehensive explanation why the fee was introduced following the incident last year.

David B states the obvious when he identifies that the landing fee potentially is unenforceable ..as is actually the flying fee payable at the gate to the flying field.

Given the typically arrogant and selfish and mean behaviour that the sports often attracts it is a huge disappointment that regular and often well respected pilots will fail consistently to review site information and as a consequence put our sites and relationships in jeopardy .

but going forward there is every likelihood that the bottom landing field will be lost to us,
So this topic could become wholly redundant ...or if we are lucky with negotiations with potential new farm owners the conditions of use could become even more onerous than they are now .

So watch this space the Farm will almost certainly change hands this year
Nick Le Gras

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.