|Status:||Camlo is currently open to all pilots|
|Grid ref:||SO 028 705|
|Latitude:||52.323959° (52° 19′ 26″ N)|
|Longitude:||-3.4276022° (3° 25′ 39″ W)|
|Takes wind:||SSE-SE 158°-135°
SW-W 225°- 270°
|Location:||[maps.google.co.uk] [www.multimap.com] [www.streetmap.co.uk]|
|Maps:||1:50000 136 or Explorer 200|
|Blue arrows = take-off areas
Green triangles = landing fields
Thick red line = power lines (note: not all power lines are shown)
Red oblong = gates
P = parking
Click on map to increase size.
|Directions to Camlo|
From Crossgates on the A44, just beyond Nantmel, turn right at the T junction and right again following the signposts towards Abbeycwmhir. At the top of the hill by the forestry, turn right through a gate. Park in this field or drive along the track through the next gate and park on the track. Note that these fields belong to different farmers so it absolutely essential to shut the gates immediately. There is a further gate that you can walk through to access the rest of the hill, but do not drive through.
- T/O altitude 1400 ft AMSL
- Top to bottom 300 ft
- Take off is straightforward.
- Top landing can be tricky if the wind is off to the right because of rotor from the spur.
- Bottom landing is tight and for experienced HG pilots only.
- Camlo is a little flown hill, especially for hang gliders, as there is not a suitable bottom landing field. The site is very wind affected and even in reasonably wind speeds it is often blown out. It is unusual to meet fellow pilots there, as Clatter is usually a more popular site in a SW.
- The area at the back of the bowl between the two take offs is shallow and not recommended.
- No paramotors allowed.
- No dogs allowed.
Steve Nash, 27.06.2010, 61.6km to Bayston Hill. PG.
This area is used by low flying military aircraft on weekdays.
Please be aware that a Falconry centre is situated at the bottom of the hill.
The owner, Mr Eddie Churchill has asked that pilots call him on 07463892639 to let him know they are planning to fly from the hill and he will not release his falcons.
A25 is 3m east, base FL65 (min altitude 5500ft amsl). W39 is overhead at FL165.
Mr Price, Little Vaynor 01597 810285
Mr & Mrs Rolands, Noyadd Fach 01597 810174