|Status:||The Wrekin (SE) is currently open to LMSC members only (temporary guest membership can be obtained by contacting any committee member).|
|Latitude:||52.6667° (52° 40′ 0″ N)|
|Longitude:||-2.55° (2° 33′ 0″ W)|
|HG rating:||CP + 25 hours (A CP with less than 25 hours may still fly so long as they receive an onsite briefing from a coach or instructor for each visit)|
|PG rating:||CP + 25 hours (A CP with less than 25 hours may still fly so long as they receive an onsite briefing from a coach or instructor for each visit)|
|Takes wind:||120 ° – 150 ° (ESE – SE)|
|Location:||[maps.google.co.uk] [www.multimap.com] [www.streetmap.co.uk]|
|Maps:||1:50000 136 or Explorer 215|
|Blue arrows = take-off areas
Green triangles = landing fields
Thick red line = power lines (note: not all power lines are shown)
Red oblong = gates
P = parking
Click on map to increase size.
|Power lines near landing fields|
M54 junction 7, turn South. At 0.8 miles, close to a ‘T’ junction, the access track climbs off to the right. Parking is on the public roads around the track entrance. One vehicle only is allowed to and from the drop off area marked ‘Y’ on the plan. The vehicle must be returned to the public parking areas immediately. NO PARKING at the drop-off area. See site rules below.
SPECTATORS AND THE PUBLIC
The Wrekin is a popular walking spot for the public and can be busy, please respect this and launch and fly sensibly. Take care not to be dragged back into the path of spectators and do not attempt to top land if people are in the way.
- T/O altitude 1335 ft AMSL
- Top to bottom SE 580 ft NW 830 ft
- Take-off: NW – take off from the ‘lip’ in strong conditions.
- Top landing: not advisable. Note the NW rotor marked on the map.
- Bottom landing SE, PG: Do not land in mowing grass. If unsure, check with the farmer before flying.
- SE, HG: Watch for power lines and trees.
- NW, HG: do not use the field if it is ploughed.
- No paramotors allowed.
- No dogs allowed.
There is significant airspace (MATZs/ATZs) close to the Wrekin, downwind of the SE side. Check your airspace map carefully before going XC.
- The range is currently inactive.
- Note the one metre high bank running across the middle of the range.
Fields not marked ‘HG’ slope steeply. An up-slope/down wind landing is the only practical method for HG in an emergency.
- Pilots must be current LMSC members.
- Pilots must be licensed and insured members of the BHPA.
- All members shall observe the Countryside Code, in particular in relation to property and livestock. No livestock are to be frightened or stampeded by fliers.
- No dogs
- Any damage to be reported to the Estate Office (Tel 01743 232477) immediately. Farmers will be compensated for damage to crops or livestock, plus costs, if appropriate.
Richard Worley, 07.05.13, 104.3km to Rhyl. PG.