|Status:||The Wrekin (SE) is open to LMSC members only
(temporary guest membership can be obtained by contacting any committee member).
|Latitude:||52.6667° (52° 40′ 0″ N)|
|Longitude:||-2.55° (2° 33′ 0″ W)|
|HG rating:||CP + 25 hours (A CP with less than 25 hours may still fly so long as they receive an onsite briefing from a coach or instructor for each visit)|
|PG rating:||CP + 25 hours (A CP with less than 25 hours may still fly so long as they receive an onsite briefing from a coach or instructor for each visit)|
|Takes wind:||120 ° – 150 ° (ESE – SE)|
|Location:||[maps.google.co.uk] [www.multimap.com] [www.streetmap.co.uk]|
|Maps:||1:50000 136 or Explorer 215|
|Blue arrows = take-off areas
Green triangles = landing fields
Thick red line = power lines (note: not all power lines are shown)
Red oblong = gates
P = parking
Click on map to increase size.
|Power lines near landing fields|
This site is popular with the public, be especially careful not to put anyone at risk e.g. with poor launches or top landings. We may not leave vehicles at the top, however a single 4×4 may ferry equipment/pilots up and then be returned to the halfway house – see notes below. Do not drive down the farmers track to park nor to retrieve. Do not park at the tracks entrance where it joins the main road for more than a few moments e.g. e.g. if retrieving someone.
M54 junction 7, turn South. At 0.8 miles, close to a ‘T’ junction, the access track climbs off to the right. Parking is in the Wrekin or Ercall car parks or the (now much reduced) roadside parking. Traffic wardens regularly ticket those parking over the double yellow lines. It is ok to take a 4×4 vehicle up to the entrance to the TV mast, drop your kit off, and return the vehicle to the Halfway House and park the said vehicle on the left hand side of the gate (looking up the Wrekin) – do not leave a vehicle anywhere on top of the hill, the Halfway House is the ONLY place where we have permission to leave a vehicle on the hill. Please do not leave a vehicle anywhere on the farmers track if walking up the SE side – use only the public parking areas.
SPECTATORS AND THE PUBLIC
The Wrekin is a popular walking spot for the public and can be busy, please respect this and launch and fly sensibly. Take care not to be dragged back into the path of spectators and do not attempt to top land if people are in the way.
- T/O altitude 1335 ft AMSL
- Top to bottom SE 580 ft NW 830 ft
- Take-off: NW – take off from the ‘lip’ in strong conditions.
- Top landing: not advisable. Note the NW rotor marked on the map.
- Bottom landing SE, PG: Do not land in mowing grass. If unsure, check with the farmer before flying.
- SE, HG: Watch for power lines and trees.
- NW, HG: do not use the field if it is ploughed.
- No paramotors allowed.
- No dogs allowed.
There is significant airspace (MATZs/ATZs) close to the Wrekin, downwind of the SE side. Check your airspace map carefully before going XC.
- The range is currently inactive.
- Note the one metre high bank running across the middle of the range.
Fields not marked ‘HG’ slope steeply. An up-slope/down wind landing is the only practical method for HG in an emergency.
- Pilots must be current LMSC members.
- Pilots must be licensed and insured members of the BHPA.
- All members shall observe the Countryside Code, in particular in relation to property and livestock. No livestock are to be frightened or stampeded by fliers.
- No dogs
- Any damage to be reported to the Estate Office (Tel 01743 232477) immediately. Farmers will be compensated for damage to crops or livestock, plus costs, if appropriate.
Richard Worley, 07.05.13, 104.3km to Rhyl. PG.